From The Quentin Tarantino Archives
- Back to Main Page
Quentin Tarantino's Movie Universes.
Join the debate, post your thoughts - like us on Facebook today, join over 12.000 Tarantino fans!
THE REALER THAN REAL WORLD UNIVERSE
- The first movie universe created by Quentin Tarantino is an alternate reality that is very similar to our own. This universe is comprised of most of the basic laws of our world, although it is a more heightened movie version where fictional Tarantino characters can mingle with real people (Lt. Aldo Raine can meet Hitler, Cliff Booth can meet Bruce Lee). The films that are part of this universe are: Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
- Characters from The Realer Than Real World Universe cannot appear in the films of the Movie Movie Universe. For example, Butch Coolidge from Pulp Fiction could not show up in Kill Bill.
THE MOVIE MOVIE UNIVERSE
- The second movie universe created by Quentin Tarantino is an alternate reality that is based on the fantastic. In other words, it's closer to comic books and films that feature supernatural characters. The films that are part of this universe are: Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn, and Kill Bill.
- Characters from unrelated Movies and TV can show up in the Movie Movie Universe. For example, in Kill Bill, Pai Mei (Gordon Liu) from the Shaw Brothers kung fu films appears, as does Hattori Hanzo (Sonny Chiba) who is the descendant of Hattori Hanzo from the early 80s Japanese TV show Shadow Warriors aka Kage No Gundan.
- Characters from The Movie Movie Universe cannot appear in the films of the Realer Than Real World Universe. For example, The Bride from Kill Bill could not show up in Death Proof.
- Characters from the Movie Movie Universe can show up in other films of that universe. So The Bride from Kill Bill could appear in From Dusk Till Dawn.
- The films of the Movie Movie Universe are the kinds of movies the characters of the Realer Than Real World would goto see in that universe. So, Stuntman Mike in Death Proof could go see Kill Bill at the movies.
- According to Quentin Tarantino there are certain characters in his two universes that can jump back and forth. The first is The Wolf aka Winston Wolf (Harvey Keitel) from Pulp Fiction. The Wolf is considered a "Movie Movie" character that can also appear in the Realer Than Real World. The second and third characters that can move between Tarantino's worlds is Sheriff Earl McGraw and his son Edgar McGraw (who were in both Kill Bill and Death Proof).
- Sheriff McGraw, his daughter Dr. Dakota Block (Marley Shelton) and The Crazy Babysitter Twins also show up in both Planet Terror and Death Proof. NOTE: Dakota Block and The Crazy Babysitter Twins were created by Robert Rodriguez not Tarantino, so we may not see them again in any of Tarantino's future films.
TARANTINO BRAND NAMES
- The fictional Tarantino brands of fast food/beverage/cigarettes are the only things that are constants in both movie universes. You will see such labels as Red Apple cigarettes, G.O. Juice and Big Kahuna Burger appear in both The Realer Than Real World and The Movie Movie Universe.
THE ELMORE LEONARD UNIVERSE
- This universe is separate from both of Tarantino's two universes.
- Jackie Brown takes place in this universe.
- None of the characters from Tarantino's own movie universes can appear in this universe.