Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
From The Quentin Tarantino Archives
(Redirected from 9)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (working title: #9 aka Untitled #9 aka No. 9) is Quentin Tarantino's upcoming and ninth motion picture. The full story is currently unknown, what is known is that the film is set in Los Angeles in 1969 (see below). The title was revealed on February 29th 2018 as Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Tarantino has repeatedly stated that the movie is not about Charles Manson, but one of his victims, Sharon Tate, seems to be a main character in the story. "Those who’ve read it said the script has heart and a strong commercial appeal, and if there is a film of Tarantino’s it can be best compared to, it would be Pulp Fiction, which also was set in Los Angeles. The film will carry a budget in the range of Django Unchained." (Deadline). According to Variety, the plot involves a male TV actor and his stunt double sidekick looking for a way into the movie biz after one hit series. The murder of Sharon Tate and her friends by the hands of Charles Manson's murderous family is the backdrop to the main story. According to Tarantino via Sony, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is "a story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood. The two lead characters are Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio), former star of a western TV series, and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt). Both are struggling to make it in a Hollywood they don’t recognize anymore. But Rick has a very famous next-door neighbor…Sharon Tate.”
Peter Bart & Mike Fleming of Deadline described Leo's character more in detail as "an actor who had his own Western show "Bounty Law" that ran on the air from 1958 to 1963. His attempt to transition to movies didn’t work out and in 1969 — the film is set at the height of hippy Hollywood movement– he’s guesting on other people’s shows while contemplating going to Italy which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns."
Leonardo DiCaprio (as Rick Dalton) and Brad Pitt (as Cliff Booth) are confirmed as the two male leads. Actors and actresses rumored to be in talks for roles are Margot Robbie (as Sharon Tate) and Tom Cruise. Said Tarantino: “I’ve been working on this script for five years, as well as living in Los Angeles County most of my life, including in 1969, when I was seven years old. I’m very excited to tell this story of an LA and a Hollywood that don’t exist anymore. And I couldn’t be happier about the dynamic teaming of DiCaprio & Pitt as Rick & Cliff.” (Deadline, March 1)
Production will begin mid-2018 for a worldwide August 9, 2019 release, aiming for an R-rating. The budget is said to be approx $100 million. The deal with Sony Pictures is said to include first-dollar gross and final cut on the film for Quentin.
It will be produced at and distributed with Sony Pictures (worldwide). Producers are David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh and Quentin Tarantino. Executive and line producer: Georgia Kacandes. Quentin's L. Driver Productions, Inc. and Heyday Films, Mr Heyman's shop, are so far listed as production companies.
- March 1, 2018: Title revealed, more plot details revealed and Pitt and DiCaprio confirmed
- January 17, 2018: Some plot details regarding DieCaprio's role emerge
- January 12, 2018: Leonardo DiCaprio reportedly confirmed
- December 1, 2017: Release date set by Sony to August 9 2019
- November 20, 2017: Untitled #9 qualifies for $18m California tax credit
- November 17, 2017: Some plot details emerge as Sony deal is sealed
- November 17, 2017: Sony wins Tarantino picture deal, confirmation
- November 14, 2017: David Heyman joins No.9 as producer
- November 14, 2017: Studios bidding for Tarantino film
- November 13, 2017: Tarantino says film not about Manson, takes place 1969
- November 1, 2017: In search for new home, studios reading Tarantino movie
- October 27, 2017: Studios invited to read Tarantino script at WME
- August 12, 2017: Tarantino says movie being misrepresented as a Manson film
- July 12, 2017: Tarantino's next about Manson murders?
- July 11, 2017: Tarantino prepping new movie
- October 13, 2016: Quentin Tarantino Teases Intriguing New Project, Set in 1970
- Release date: August 9, 2019
- Budget: approx $100mio
- Rating: R (USA)
- Distribution: Sony Pictures
- Production companies: L. Driver Productions; Heyday Films
- Starring: Leonardo di Caprio (as Rick Dalton), Brad Bitt (as Cliff Booth)
- Written and directed by: Quentin Tarantino
- Producers: David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh, Quentin Tarantino, Georgia Kacandes.
- Links: IMDb (no reliable info at this point) | Discuss in our forums