Once Upon a Time in Hollywood References guide
From The Quentin Tarantino Archives
This page is under construction. As is the tradition at The Quentin Tarantino Archives, our international network of movie geeks will compile a guide of pop cultural references that will make enjoying Tarantino's latest a special delight for geeks and aspiring cinephiles.
For starters, check out the Furious Cinema article: 1969: Entering New Hollywood
Movies (Advertised or Referenced)
- Sweet Charity (Dir: Bob Fosse) - Theater billboard for the 1969 musical comedy starring Shirley Maclaine and Ricardo Montalban.
- The Sergeant (Dir: John Flynn) - Theater billboard for the 1968 drama starring Rod Steiger.
- 3 in the Attic (Dir: Richard Wilson) - Theater marquee for the 1968 bedroom farce starring Christopher Jones and Yvette Mimeux.
- Ice Station Zebra (Dir: John Sturges) - Theater billboard for the 1968 espionage action-adventure film starring Rock Hudson.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Dir: Stanley Kubrick) - Theater billboard for the 1969 space adventure classic.
- Hells Angels '69 (Dir: Lee Madden) - Theater billboard for the 1969 biker exploitation classic.
- Romeo & Juliet (Dir: Franco Zefferelli) - Theater marquee/poster for the 1968 Shakespeare romantic drama starring Olivia Hussey.
- The Wrecking Crew (Dir: Phil Karlson) - Theater Marquee/Billboard poster for the 1968 spy comedy starring Dean Martin, Elke Sommer and Sharon Tate
- Candy (Dir: Christian Marquand) - Billboard for the 1968 psychedelic sex comedy starring Ewa Aulin.
- Funny Girl (Dir: William Wyler) - Billboard poster for the 1968 musical comedy starring Barbara Streisand.
- Oliver! (Dir: Carol Reed) - Billboard poster for the 1968 musical starring Ron Moody and Oliver Reed
- Pendulum (Dir: George Schaefer) - Billboard poster for the 1969 crime thriller starring George Peppard and Jean Seberg.
- Mackenna's Gold (Dir: J. Lee Thompson) - Billboard poster for the 1969 Western adventure starring Gregory Peck and Telly Savalas
- Sam Whiskey (Dir: Arnold Laven): Theatrical poster for the 1969 comedy western starring Burt Reynolds and Angie Dickinson.
- They Came To Rob Las Vegas (Dir: Antonio Isasi-Isasmendi): Billboard poster for the 1968 crime film starring Gary Lockwood, Lee J. Cobb and Elke Sommer.
- The Boston Strangler (Dir: Richard Fleischer)- Billboard for the 1968 crime-thriller film starring Tony Curtis.
- The Night They Raided Minsky's (Dir: William Friedkin) - playing at the Vogue theater in the Summer of 1969
- Krakatoa: East of Java (Dir: Bernard L. Kowalski) - playing at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome in the Summer of 1969
- Babette & The Turn On! playing at The Pussycat Theater (a now defunct adult theater located on Hollywood Boulevard)
Restaraunts & Night Clubs
- Pandora's Box: A popular Night Club & Coffee House on the Sunset Strip.
- Musso & Frank Grill: Popular restaraunt known as "the genesis of Hollywood."
- Taco Bell: Popular Mexican fast food chain
- Peaches Records & Tapes: A now defunct record store in Hollywood
TV Shows (Advertised or Referenced)
- Dark Shadows - A horror themed TV series (1966-71). Bus Stop Ad.
- The Invaders - A sci-fi themed TV Show (1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes. Created by Larry Cohen (Black Caesar, The Stuff)
- Honey West- A TV series (1965-66) starring Anne Francis. A bus billboard ad. Also mentioned in Reservoir Dogs.
- The Rosie Grier Show: A talk show (1966) starring the football player/actor. A bus stop billboard ad.
- Fright Night with Seymour: A billboard ad for LA TV late night horror movies show.
- Lancer: Western TV series that aired from 1968-1970
- Sharon Tate: Actress and late wife of Roman Polanski- murdered by Manson followers
- Roman Polanski: Actor/Director- husband of Sharon Tate
- George Spahn: Owner of Spahn Ranch. Home of the Manson family
- Charles Manson: Leader of the Manson family
- Steve McQueen: Actor known as The "King of Cool"
- Jay Sebring: Hairdresser to the stars. murdered by Manson family members.
- Voytek Frykowski: Friend of Polanski/Tate - murdered by Manson followers
- Abigail Folger: Friend of Polanski/Tate/Frykowski - murdered by Manson followers
- Bruce Lee: Martial Arts icon/Actor/Fight choreographer. Friend of Polanski/Tate/McQueen
- Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme: Member of the Manson family.
- Catherine "Gypsy" Share: Member of the Manson family
- Charles "Tex" Watson: Member of the Manson family
- Sam Wanamaker: Actor and Director
- Connie Stevens: Singer/Actress
- Joanna Pettet: Actress
- Mama Cass - Singer