Lt. Aldo Raine
- aka "Aldo The Apache"
- Occupation: 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army First Special Service Force. The non-Jewish leader of "The Basterds" Jewish-American/German soldier unit.
- A hillbilly-moonshiner from Maynardville, Tennessee. He bears a large scar around his neck which is rumored to be from a lynching. Aldo's nickname "The Apache" comes from his penchant for scalping Nazis (done in the tradition of American Apache Indians). In his introductory scene, Raine states that he is a direct descendant of legendary mountainman Jim Bridger.
- TARANTINO TRAITS: Being a native of Tennesee, Quentin Tarantino has strong ties to Southerners and likes to pay tribute to good ol' boys in his films. Like Butch Coolidge from Pulp Fiction, Aldo Raine is also from QT's home state. Other rural inspired characters from QTs films include Zed & Maynard in Pulp Fiction, Sheriff Earl McGraw and Budd in Kill Bill and Stuntman Mike in Death Proof (who moves to Tennesee).
"My name is Lt. Aldo Raine, and I'm putting together a special team. And I need me eight soldiers. Eight – Jewish – American – Soldiers. Now y’all might have heard rumors about the armada happening soon. Well, we’ll be leavin' a little earlier. We’re gonna be dropped into France, dressed as civilians. And once we’re in enemy territory, as a bushwackin’ guerilla army, we’re gonna be doin' one thing, and one thing only: Killin' Nazis. The members of the National Socialist Party have conquered Europe through murder, torture, intimidation and terror. And that's exactly what we’re gonna do to them. Now I don’t know about y’all, but I sure as hell didn’t come down from the goddamn smoky mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily, and then jump out of a fuckin' air-o-plane, to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain’t got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass-murderin' manic, and they need to be destroyed. That’s why any and every son-of-a-bitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die. We will be cruel to the Germans, and through our cruelty, they will know who we are. They will find the evidence of our cruelty, in the disemboweled, dismembered, and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us. And the German will not be able to help themselves from imagining the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot heels, and the edge of our knives. And the Germans will be sickened by us. And the Germans will talk about us. And the Germans will fear us. And when the Germans close their eyes at night, and their subconsciousness tortures them for the evil they’ve done, it will be with thoughts of us, that it tortures them with. But I got a word of warning to all would be warriors. When you join my command, you take on debit. A debit you owe me, personally. Every man under my command, owes me, one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y’all will get me, one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred Nazis or you will die trying."
- The name Aldo Raine is a homage to actor Aldo Ray.
- Casting director Johanna Ray who worked on Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds was married to Aldo Ray from 1960-67.
- Raine's Italian alias is Enzo Girolami; an obvious tribute to Italian director (and helmer of the original Inglorious Bastards) Enzo G. Castellari. Girolami is Enzo's real last name.